Leafless

One thing I’ve always struggled with is capturing scenes like this. An intimate nature scene seems to be completely off my photo radar. So after being inspired by some of the incredible shot’s like these shared on NPN, I made it my mission to be more mindful of these type of shots.

A few weeks back, when I was looking out of my kitchen window one afternoon, saw this scene and captured a few frames, not thinking they would amount to anything. Now I’m not sure if I’m trying too hard to make this work or there still might be something there. Figured I would post this up for some proper feedback.

What technical/artistic feedback would you like if any? Any CC appreciated.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D850 - 70-300 @ 250 mm - 1/400th - ƒ/9 - ISO 200 - Single Exposure - LR adjustments

#ig @chrisnoronhaphoto

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
5 Likes

Really nice, no nits. The choice of border is also fitting. I think these kinds of subtle forest scenes look best presented with a white mat.
:vulcan_salute:

Chris, I think doing intimates like this takes a lot more work and thinking than shooting a spectacular sunrise, but it can be very rewarding, so keep looking for these type of scenes. I like the composition, which is nicely balanced. I especially like the row of tan vegetation in the extreme LRC, it creates a nice sense of depth to the foreground. I think the vignette here is a bit too strong in the ULC and URC, just my opinion.

You have kind of an interesting study of different textures. I do wish there was a little more visual separation of the birches/ aspen (?) from the yellow trees. I’m not sure that is possible via post-processing alone, a white subject on a bright yellow background is a tough situation to get separation.

Those bare aspens look like they would be nice in B&W, if you can get them against a dark background, it might be worth a go in B&W.

Are you kidding? Yes, there most certainly is “something there”. This is a first class image in my book. Now all I want, is to install your window in my house.

2 Likes

This was indeed well woth taking, Chris ! The somewhat ghostly bare trees in the fg are beautifully capped by the gold of the leaves above - a really charming image.

Chris,

I love this. This is an outstanding image. I love @Igor_Doncov 's response - I too want to have your window installed! Seriously? This is the view from your house??

With an image like this, can your struggles be over? But really, these are hard comps to find - and for most of us, even harder to learn how to “see” them. Clearly, you’re on your way.

The only comment I’d make for a critique is the darker yellows up top. I only mention because they seem darker than the luminosity of the rest of the image. Having said that - and I’m not sure how you processed this, but certainly the darker area and trees behind the bolder white trunks and branches - work well to make the bare trees stand out. So… I’m not sure changing anything here would make this better. Well done!

Lon

Seriously Chris, this is what you look at everyday. Why have you not mounted your camera outside your window and set an intervelometer on it to capture this in all the various light and conditions. My only nit is the LRC. It feels empty. Maybe a slight crop from the bottom but not to much.

Chris, I think all is said about this so full of color and lines composition. No nits here, more admiration.

Outstanding image. Keep up the good work.

Very nice shot Chris! I really like it. I do like the darker yellow tone on the top, in my eyes it creates an extra layer. Well done.

I love this Chris. All the elements work well together. No nits from me.

Your timing is perfect in posting this image in view of today’s NPN conversation with Charlotte Gibb who is a master of intimate landscapes and trees. I get in line for your window installation as well.

Thanks for your great feedback and kind words. Seeing as this was a first intimate forest scene for me, I knew there would be some point to consider and rework, but I love the learning process, so happy for the feedback.

Oh, and also THANK YOU for the idea of starting my new window installation venture. Website coming soon!

@Michael_Lowe Thanks , Michael. I was torn between leaving the white boarder on or off, but I agree that it seemed to work better with it on.

@Ed_McGuirk Thanks, Ed. I noticed the lack of separation and tried to go heavy on the vignette, hoping it would drawn out the central subject. Will try toning it down and revise. You’ve also piqued my interest to see this in B/W as well. Because I was after fall colour, I didn’t think to try is that way.

@Igor_Doncov Appreciate your kind words and for giving me the window business idea. Royalty check is already in the mail! :rofl:

@Ian_Wolfenden Thank you, Ian. Appreciate your feedback.

@Lon_Overacker Thanks, Lon. Our house backs on to a creek and conservation land. The tight crop might be a tad deceiving, but it is a nice view. I think I may have been a little heavy handed with the burn tool in hopes it would add a bit more depth to a very flat image. I’ll try toning down the darkness up there to see if it feels more natural.

@Youssef_Ismail Thank you, Youssef. That’s actually a great idea! Sadly all the fall colour has gone for the season, but it might be interesting to visit that suggestion during the winter.

@Ben_van_der_Sande Much appreciated, Ben!

@Ralph_Yakaboski Thank you, Ralph!

@Lefteris_Kachramanis Thank you, Lefteris. Be interesting to see if works better pulled back a touch.

@Eva_McDermott Thank you, Eva!

@Larry_Greenbaum Thanks, Larry. I’m going to have to run a 50% off promo for NPN members.