Lenticular Moonset

Gollanfield, Highlands, Scotland

For a single morning on two or three consecutive months in December, January and February around the middle of each month a full moon sets directly behind this wee copse of pine trees at Gollanfield near Nairn at pretty much the same time as the sun rises directly behind me. That means I could retain some visual information in the moon’s disc with a strong probability of earth shadow colour in any high clouds above it. Luck was with me as the clouds turned out to be lenticular and they glowed pinky red in the gloaming of a beautiful winter morning.

Fuji GFX50S, GF 45-100 zoom, unfiltered f/11 at around 2 seconds, ISO 400, to prevent the moon moving.

1 Like

Lovely pastel sky Ian. I like the perfect position of the moon over the trees as well. Glad to see you posting again. Hope all is well in these crazy times.

What are nice moment in time. I like how the warm color in the foreground works with the clouds and contrasts with the cool colors of the distant hills and sky.

Beautiful image, Ian. Happy to see posting, again.

A very nicely planned and composed landscape Ian! The small stand of trees get your attention as the primary subject but the sky definitely steals the scene! I love the lavender colors & the lenticular formations. The large version should be required viewing for this image as it has much more presence and detail which makes it even more captivating. A great opportunity and an excellent job of capturing the moment! Good to see you posting here again!

Outstanding, Ian. The colour palette is at once subtle and awesome. The tiny copse of trees and, surprisingly, the moon itself, give this image a dramatic sense of scale against that incredible magenta sky. To me it is obvious that this picture wasn’t taken by a tourist but by someone who intimately knows this land.

Thank you

I’m pleased you enjoy it.

Woah, that is some landscape. Bravo. The trees and the slice of ground look terrific with that sky. A small scroll-crop off the top helps isolate and focus things even more.

Stunning image!! The trees, the moon, and then the clouds with their wonderful shapes and colors – top notch!!