Lifting Veil

I’m mostly a grand landscape shooter so weather conditions are king. I’ve been trying to do a better job at timing shooting excursions with weather forecasts to avoid the dreaded blue sky, but as you know, weather conditions can be very fickle… I captured this image last month after being holed up in a motel room for 36 hours. I can certify that you can only watch so much cable TV before going insane. Appreciate any comments/suggestions.

3 Likes

Beautiful scene and atmospherics, too. Processing looks great to my eye, so no suggestions here. Worth the 36 hours in hiding.

I guess I would wait and watch for 36 hrs with terrible tv too for this. Problem is you weren’t sure it would turn out this way :wink:
Seeing the result I’d say well worth the wait. The look trough the clouds is very dramatic, the light is perfect and I really like how the fg hills don’t have snow here.

Love the shot and the mood Dave. Those clouds are cool, especially when you can make out the tips of those mountains. I definitely know about those blues skies and being a landscape photographer. I always have to correct my wife when she sees a bright blue sky and says it a gorgeous day.

Dave,
Really a beautiful scene with the dark brown foreground offering such a nice anchor to the sunlit white snow. The dark clouds create a very ominous mood in contrast to the bright sunshine highlights.

Nice job to have the patience to wait for this!

Dave, what a stunning image. Similar to the recent Badlands shots from @Craig_Moreau, this color combination of reddish/brown and white is simply killer. I love the dappled light in the foreground, it creates a lot of impact. I also like the way the clouds conceal/reveal the mountains, it adds a sense of mystery to this image. This is one fine image, great work :+1: :+1:

Outstanding mood and drama with this beauty, Dave. The clouds partially hiding the BG mountains add an air of mystery to this scene as does the interplay of light and shadow. Well worth the 36 hr wait IMO.

Stunning image! It’s perfect as is.

This is beautiful, Dave. The color palette is great, as are the layering and atmosphere. It’s good that you got this after all that time cooped up. No critique from me.

Beautiful, and worth the wait! (easy for us to say since we weren’t stuck in that motel for 36 hours).

Dave, the conditions and lighting are terrific. The mix of darkly colored foreground, snow covered peaks, and floating clouds is great. Seems like you made a good recovery from insanity… :open_mouth:

Looks like a good antidote to cable TV!

The obscuring clouds are really interesting here Dave. At first glance, I wasn’t sure. After gazing a bit though, I think they add a really nice “peekaboo” effect and make for a unique image.

Dave, this is so great. I know exactly where this is and this image wouldn’t have worked without all those clearing clouds. Thanks for sharing this!

@Harley_Goldman, @Ron_Jansen, @Greg_Stokesbury, @Alan_Kreyger, @Ed_McGuirk, @Ed_Lowe, @Tony_Siciliano, @Craig_Moreau, @Kathy_Barnhart, @Mark_Seaver, @John_Williams, @Adhika_Lie, Thanks all for the comments. Yeah, my wife thinks I’m nuts but I probably do another 36 hours of cable for another shot at these clouds.