Locked and Loaded

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D500 600mm f4 + 2.0 teleconverter (1/250 sec at f8.0, Iso) 500) Full Frame, Levels, Topaz Stabilize, Topaz DeNoise, Levels, Brightness & Contrast, Burned in highlights along water. I was right behind the squall line of a departing thunderstorm and the cloudy skies kept things very dark. This is a first year green heron fishing in the shadows. I also had my off camera flash set at -1.7ev (TTL-BL) which porovided nice delicate fill.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

jameszablotny

Hi Jim, Fine details throughout on the bird and the soft light is nice with the flash. I like how the branch curves through the image. Well executed shot.

1 Like

I agree with Allen, Jim, on the lighting and that curved limb. You managed a not easy situation with the lighting to accomplish an excellent image of this Green Heron with excellent details. He looks pretty intent on his meal.

1 Like

An excellent image of this Green Heron, Jim. A very typical hunting pose and perch that fit very well for this species. Detail is excellent as well and your use of fill flash worked very well.

1 Like

I really like this one, Jim! Excellent detail on the bird, especially considering the lighting conditions and a 2X TC! Very well executed use of the flash that resulted in a perfect exposure. The comp works extremely well also, with the bird in the upper left third and the diagonal branch that goes corner to corner. A well balanced image with great detail and strong grahical impact. Great job :+1:

1 Like

Great image, Jim ! The birds pose is very appealing and the matching colours of the bird and background make for a very pleasant image ! Well done ! Hans

1 Like

Hi Jim
The flash did a nice job as fill lighting. This is a vary sharp shot for 1/250 shutter speed. The Heron pops out of the back-ground with great detail.
Nice job.
Peter

1 Like

Very well done Jim, lovely details and soft lighting from the flash.

1 Like