Lone Ranger

This type of image is a bit of an experiment for me. I was out ski touring and this pine making a go at it in pretty harsh conditions caught my eye . I feel like for this type of image the composition resonates or it doesn’t so I’m intrigued to hear your thoughts.

I’m open to any suggestion for improvement.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any? composition and framing.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@nathankleinphotos

1 Like

Nathan, I am quite a fan of this style of image. Think its the minimalism that makes a shot like this enthralling.

I think for me the framing/comp doesn’t quite work in this shot. Sorry to put it so bluntly :woozy_face: It feels slightly unbalanced as the trees are pointing in the same direction, resulting in the effect that there is no interplay between the elements. The trees in the UL almost detract from the main beautiful subject. I feel that a more central composition with the foreground and background trees in the same line of vision would yield a more imapctful image. Hope that helps :slight_smile:

Cheers for sharing this!!

Nathan, I generally admire your work very much, and I give you a lot of credit for taking some risks and experimenting with this minimalist composition. But it just doesn’t quite work for me, especially the trees in the ULC. If you want to go full minimalist, I might suggest losing the Tontos in the ULC, and going full Lone Ranger. Something like this.

2 Likes

Thanks @Eugene_Theron and @Ed_McGuirk I appreciate your forthright feedback.

I think the biggest learning here is to not experiment when one is physically tired. :grinning:

For me landscape minimalism is one of the most difficult parts of the craft

I like the idea behind this, Nathan, but agree with others that the comp does not quite work. For me the potential lies in the row of trees rather than the single tree - I reckon they might better hold the eye’s interest if suitably placed in the frame. Maybe too the contrast could be higher - I’m not sure. Well worth the experiment, though !