Love Is In The Air

Sony A77II
Minolta 200mm macro
ISO 800, 1/40 @ f16
Suffering from terminal boredom early this afternoon so I thought I would take a stroll around our garden and see if anything interesting was going on. Imagine my delight when I found these two monarchs mating on the sidewalk. I picked them up and placed them on some lantana and they were kind enough to let me be a voyeur for about five minutes until the male took off carrying his lady with him. Would have preferred that the small lantana bloom wasn’t overlaying the wing but did not want to risk disturbing them and losing the opportunity. All comments welcome. >=))>

A good thing you were bored and went out to the garden, Bill. I am not sure I have ever seen a photo of a couple of monarchs mating before. I am not sure I would have even thought to have picked them up to move them to a better location either. A great capture.

Wow Bill, what a capture. I love the color contrast seen in this photo as well.

Bill, pretty awesome to have Monarchs mating in January. This shot looks great even with the bit of floral overlap. It’s also way cool that you could pick them up and place them even for a short time.

Very pleasing color, form and texture. Excellent detail on the butterflies.