Magic Moment

What makes this image expressive?

I was feeling a sense of awe and vastness. The light played its part in illuminating the juxtaposition of sand and snow. It just seemed so otherworldly. I kept taking image after image because I felt like I was trying to consume it somehow, or be consumed.

Specific Feedback Requested

Not sure if the contrast in the dunes is too much?

4 Likes

Wow Connie, what a beautiful scene. No doubt in my mind you nailed the majesty and awe. I just love the dreamy feel you have managed to convey, it is almost as if you have been overwhelmed by the scene and transcended the ordinary world to live in a dream. This just feels so - wow…

Overall, I think the contrast feels about right. I like to get a feel for the distribution of deeper shadows, and nothing in the frame really stands out as being obviously wrong. I know that may sound like an odd statement, but light works in quite predictable ways and deeper shadows get less dark as we recede with disctane. I like the sense of 3 dimensionality and depth in these scene.

Now, a couple of things: I cropped the image a little (just a random screen grab from your original.)

I’ve taken a little off the bottom and a little off the right. The dark horizontal line in the foreground grass really catches my eye, and because is is a horizontal line, it has no energy. You have put so much time into creating an energising scene, but that line takes it away. If it’s not helping, I’d get rid of it.

Secondly, I found the right edge a bit scrape, not sure what shadows should be in or out. I feel my version is cleaner along that right side and is less distracting.

Finally, I am scratching my head because of the very bright cloud area just left of top middle. It feels that rays of light are defending from that point, but the angle of the light seems to conflict with the light hitting the dunes. implying stronger side light from the right. This is what I call an optical incongruity and I find it a little confusing. I’m not saying it doesn’t work, but it is puzzling.

Overall, a super dreamy scene, which conveys your sense of awe magnificently. Thanks for sharing it.

Thank you Thank you Alister. Everything you said is spot on. When I look back at my raw file I see that I enhanced that bright spot in the sky, and perhaps too much. When I asked about the contrast in the dunes, I think what was bothering me was actually the same “optical incongruity” you brought up. I appreciate your comments very much. -Connie

1 Like

Hi Connie!
I’ve revisited this image a few times now, and every time I return I have the same emotional response, Awe! There is a grandness and it is almost “biblical”. I really like looking at the mountains in the background. Great transition from foreground to background. Super shot!

Hi Gary, sorry for the tardy reply with a hearty thank you for your time and input. We are in the backcountry on a long ramble out of service. Hope to have some new stuff to post on my return in October! -Connie