Marengo, Victoria, Australia

I find this coast at Marengo fascinating, it seems many of the rock formations are fairly old as the ocean is about 100 metres from this cliff. Or possibly the shapes are the more recent result of storm waves, common here facing the southern ocean, reaching the cliff rather than historic sea level changes.

Specific Feedback Requested

I am a rock photography fan though it seems they have limited popular appeal.
Hence I am interested in feedback on this.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Camera: Fijifilm X-T30
Exposure: 1/60 @ F22
Lens: Fujifilm 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Focal Length: 39mm
Processing: Adobe DNG converter plus Lightroom

It depends on the audience that you are talking about. Rock details and abstracts may not draw a lot of likes and faves on social media, but I think you will find that they are much more appreciated here at NPN in the context of fine art.

This is a great rock abstract, it has interesting colors, details and textures. The mix of warm colors works very well. Your composition has done a good job of arranging the shapes, and has created some nice diagonal lines. I think the most dominant shapes here are in the center, and that’s where the viewers attention should be drawn. I think the luminosity of the bottom 1/4 of the image is too bright, and pulls my attention away from the center. I would recommend burning that area. But overall this a very well done image, nice seeing on this.

Ed

Thank you for your feedback. This is what I am looking for, I belong to a camera club and most of the time images like this leave the judges(but to be fair not all) nonplussed and their comments don’t provide what I am after.

Phil

Don’t get me started on camera club’s, I used to belong to one a long time ago. The best thing that ever happened to me creatively was leaving that insular world of camera clubs behind. Scroll through a lot of the older posts here in NPN Landscape critique, and you will see plenty of rock intimates and abstracts. The intimate landscape is valued here at NPN, it doesn’t always have to be about rainbows and unicorns, unlike social media, or camera clubs for that matter.

1 Like