Marquette Harbor Light

Our last sunrise of the workshop brought us past the old Ore dock and to this little point. The harbor is still a working one and ore shipments go out every week from the nearby iron mines (a full train went by slowly when we went through town on our way here). So the lighthouses are still important for these as well as other commercial and pleasure craft.

There were many people on the beach and a couple of dogs so I needed to find a way to eliminate the whole thing. Wandering up into some grass did it. Later the people dispersed, but I had no idea they would and did my best. I can post a wider view with beach later.

Specific Feedback Requested

More sky? Less sky? What about the telephone lines? I got rid of them on another shot, but I forgot about them on this one.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Lumix G9
Lumix G Vario 12-35mm f/2.8 @ 35mm
f/14 | 1/10 sec | ISO 200
Tripod w/polarizer

Lr processed for a 16:10 crop, some white balance and overall exposure adjustment. Some texture & sharpening/nr. Ps to get rid of spots from a dirty lens & a TK mask to bring up some of the shadows at the base of the lighthouse.

@the.wire.smith

Cool image Kristen. I like the presence of grass going this way and that. I feel it says something about the house. The picture would be less interesting without them.

Thanks Igor. I hoped folks would see it this way. It isn’t a “traditional” New England-style lighthouse so I guess a non-traditional presentation is ok.

Well done, Kris. There is a nice mood in the image, the sunrise colors are wonderfully gentle without being over the top, and that fits nicely with this non-traditional view of a non-traditional light house. And I mean that in as good way. The nice small touch that I like most is how the light in the windows stands out and catches some of the sunrise color, to me that is more important than the lighthouse being red itself.

The grasses work as a framing element. If you had included any more of them, they might have been a barrier to entry to the image, but I think included just the right amount for them work as an effective frame.

Thanks much, Ed. I had the tripod quite low and this just felt right. Enough grasses to look intentional and add atmosphere/location information, but not be intrusive and block the beach and the sunrise audience (not to mention one of my fellow workshop attendees).