Marsh Trickle

I was attracted to this scene because it kind of reminded me of the type of scene Andrew Wyeth painted so beautifully. A very simple scene but packed with lots of small details.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any and all feedback, comments, and critiques are welcomed.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Fuji GFX50S w/ 45-100 @ 45mm (36mm equivalent)
1/4 sec. @ f/13
200 ISO
No filters
Tripod

simplynatureart

1 Like

Oh this is beautiful in my opinion. I also think it’s a ‘courageous’ image in that it’s beauty is not that apparent to many. It does indeed have Andrew Wyeth’s color palette of browns, greys, and and dark oranges. What’s interesting is that I pass up scenes like this in Baja all the time without thinking of shooting them. Not much to suggest here except that I would have shot this in focus from front to back. But that’s my preference. Yeah, it takes a seasoned photographer to appreciate something like this. It’s also packed with emotions as all of Wyeth’s paintings are.

Here’s a link to a video of a collection Wyeth’s work I was looking at just the other day. It may be of interest to members.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs9UW5PU-MM

Just beautiful! It’s a peaceful composition, but the colors are rather energetic. That bit of odd vegetation (a dried palm frond?) in the middle of the frame is perfect. Are parts of this not in focus? That’s not something you would overlook IMO, and it looks good across the frame to me.

So much detail that it has to be seen large to fully appreciate it. Bill, you’ve got a great eye here. This is so nice with the light, pastel-like sky. I could see dodging the far grasses a bit, but not too much. I think it works well as is.

For me the most intriguing piece in this image is the detailed grass at the horizon, love this against the sky. I am drawn right in by the stream of water. Great image.

Thank you @Igor_Doncov , @Bonnie_Lampley , and @David_Bostock for your comments and suggestions!

Igor/Bonnie - It is sharp throughout, but I applied an Orton-like layer to it so that might be causing it to appear unsharp perhaps. Maybe I overdid it.

Igor - Thanks for the Wyeth video! Fantastic!

Bonnie - Yep, that’s a dried palm frond that I assume a storm blew in.

David - Thanks for the dodge suggestion; I will try that.

Bill, This does have that Wyeth’s look and feel for me and you had a wonderful eye seeing and capturing that look. The Orton effect you applied works but I would like to see it with a bit less…maybe. Either way you made a image with lots of impact and I like it.

1 Like

Striking image with no nits from me. The palm frond gives it a sense of scale that would otherwise be missing, for me at least. Truly Wyeth-esque!

Bill, this is excellent, a very bold and striking image. Orton can sometimes get over-used, but I think it works perfectly fine for the look you were trying to achieve here. Wonderful rich colors in the image.

My only suggested tweak is this, I like what it does to the stream…

Thanks @Nick_Bristol , @Diane_Miller , and @Ed_McGuirk for your thoughts and comments. If I were to do it again, I would reduce the Orton effect a good bit.

Ed, I just have so much trouble with flipping an image. I know, it doesn’t make sense, but I guess that’s my OCG rearing its ugly head.

I’m the same way about my own images – not that I think that that are perfect, but just that having seen them, they worked their way into my conscious mind and just look strange flipped. But that doesn’t apply to others’ images, and I do like yours flipped. (Sorry…) I think it’s the reading left-to-right thing.

2 Likes

Beauty in simplicity !