Maryland Heights, Maryland

On a bike trip from Washington, D.C. to Pittsburgh, PA, I skipped the tour of Harper’s Ferry, WVA - in the center - and hiked up to Maryland Heights, Maryland. It’s a steep 3.3-mile trail to the overlook, but every inch is worth the climb.

The view includes three states; Maryland in the foreground, West Virginia between the rivers, and Virginia to the left. At Harper’s Ferry is the confluence of the Shenandoah and the Potomac Rivers (Potomac to the right).

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
1/640 @ f8, 28mm 12 frame panorama stitched with LR. Processed in LR.

1 Like

A great location for a panoramic image indeed. Pano’s need to have strong compositions that contain elements of interest across the entire frame, and you have pulled that off very nicely here. I like having the hiker on the right side, because he is clearly looking into the center of the image. It adds to the story.

Two suggestions for tweaks. The full tree on the left serves as an effective framing element. But the dis-embodied branches in the ULC hanging mid-air look a little awkward, and I would suggest cloning it away. I also wish there was slightly more breathing room at the bottom, the rivers come down almost to the bottom edge, and having a little more land beneath them would help I think. Admittedly, I don’t know what was there beneath, so it may not have been possible.

1 Like

Awesome view and that sounds like a great bike ride and hike! I think you chose well to do the hike instead of the tour! I’ve driven through West Virginia before and wished I could have stopped to hike some of the beautiful looking mountains! Nicely captured scene!

1 Like

Hi Paul, nicely seen and executed - beautiful scene with nice clouds. A great view. Agree about taking out the lone branches in ULC.

1 Like

Inevitably, what was beneath was what is beneath at any scenic spot - people. Selecting a good vantage point, to get away from the throngs of people on the jumble of huge rocks, was more difficult than the hike up. I found a spot that was good, set-up, then shouted RATTLESNAKE !!!
It helped.