Mating Pennsylvania Leatherwings on Goldenrod Flowers

Found them on a cold fall day with a lot of moisture. Due to cold morning, they weren’t moving around, so I was able to do focus stacking.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Canon R6 + 180/3.5 + Tripod
f/8, 1/30, ISO 1000
45 images stacked
Canon DPP4 for RAW conversion, Zerene stacker , PSCC
some of the oof flowers on R lower edge removed

2 Likes

Wow! That’s a great find and I love it for all its detail. The purple blacks, not so much, but that wouldn’t take much to fix. 45 shots! Excellent. Such detail and I love the arching flowers that frame the couple. Super soft background and light, too. Great job.

Ravi, the dew covered arch of the flower frames the insects well. All of the soft yellows and greens set of the darkness of the pair well. The details look great.

Excellent details @ravi Ravi and 45 images stacked is amazing. I may need to try focus stacking again. Did you change focus with each image or use a focus stack rail and moved the camera back for each shot.

Ravi, this is an excellent capture of of these little bugs. As @Mark_Seaver said, the flower frames them nicely. You have an excellent smooth BG that makes them and the flowers stand out. The dew on the flowers and bugs really is icing on the cake. I have yet to try focus stacking with my R5. I really need to give it a try.

1 Like

Dean, I used the in-camera focus bracketing feature in R6, which is very handy, but takes some learning curve. In the past with my 7DII, I used to do manual focus bracketing, while mounting camera on tripod and changing focus with hand. I have never used stack rails or bellows.

Thanks Kris, Mark, Dean and Shirley for your comments. Kris, I didn’t notice purple blacks on my monitor. It’s been over a year since I calibrated my monitor, so I may need to do that again. Shirley, it doesn’t take much to do focus bracketing on R5 or R6. You just need some stillness and spend some time as there is a learning curve to it.

I read about how the focus stacking works in the R7 and it is amazing. My only issue with it is that the stacked image is a jpg

Stacking and bracketing are different though. If Ravi was using the auto bracketing function I bet he gets all RAW files for the stack which takes place in the computer with Zerene. That’s how it works with my Lumix G9. However there is in-camera focus stacking that does produce a jpeg. I have played with it a bit because it’s one of the reasons I bought the camera, but it misses more than it hits. A couple of years doing focus stacking in Zerene and I know why it does, but it doesn’t matter since I’m not limited to just in camera blending. Does that make sense? Sorry to jump into your thread for this Ravi, but I didn’t want Dean to get discouraged thinking he is stuck with only in-camera image stacking. A quick look at the Canon manual makes me think that bracketing can give you RAW files to work with from the R7.

Thanks for Clarifying Kris. R6 gives RAW images when I do focus bracketing , which I usually convert in Canon DPP4 in batch mode and stack them in Zerene stacker. I have tried DPP4 for stacking (there is a way to do it), but it throws out a lot of frames ending up in an image that has blurry parts.