Memories

A small scene from Fall 2020 in Zion NP. I can’t remember if I had repositioned the leaf in the frame to align it with the curve. I may have.

D750, 102mm, 1/125, f/10, ISO 800

Revision: Removed the blob on the right side of the curve, reduced blues on the leaf, and added a gradient from the top right.

5 Likes

This is a really nice in it’s simplicity. The isolation of the leaf and the faintly textured background makes this image. I only have one suggestion that isn’t subjective. I would remove the darker blotch in the center right.

Other more subjective suggestions:

1. ‘Move’ the leaf further towards the llc corner.
  2. Lighten the image further.
  3. desaturate the leaf somewhat.
  4. create a gradient from the top right corner diagonally towards the leaf (I’m into gradients these days).

Try any or none of these ideas. I reworked your image in this direction and think it’s ok.

I am not at all opposed to moving and positioning a leaf to create your art. Very nice soft and subtle color variation in this minimalist type of image and the pinkish purple hue is not overdone. The leaf is at full peak color and sets off the pink hues in the rock nicely. I think the soft curving lines in the sandstone work nicely together with the sharp edged, straight and jagged cuts in the leaf. I might dial the overall saturation back just a smidge to make it appear even softer that it already does and I agree with @Igor_Doncov about removing that small blotch to the right of the leaf. Beautiful scene Adhika.

This is quite nice Adhika, I like where you positioned the leaf, it flows through the frame nicely. I would agree with Igor’s recommendations and I’ll throw another in. To me the leaf feels much too magenta, it doesn’t bother me in the rock but the leaf is jarring to my eye. In this example I took out a lot of magenta and desaturated the leaf as well.

Wow. . . gorgeously so, Adhika, as others have said. The other suggestions are as stated, subjective. But your image is just simply stunning. Thank you for sharing it with us.

A very meditative, almost Zen-like image. The simplicity is what gives the image so much of its power. And, for me, the stillness of the leaf juxtaposed with the movement of the subtle curve that contains it adds just enough tension to hold my eye. I agree with some of the suggestions offered by Igor and both Davids, especially with regards to bringing down the saturation of the leaf a tad (and, “yes” to removing “the blob” on the right :grin:).

@Igor_Doncov, @David_Haynes, @David_Kingham, @linda_mellor, @Kerry_Gordon thank you, everyone! With all the things going on in the past two years, I have lost motivation to post/share images but I am reminded once again how valuable it is to get feedback and I can count on this group.

A revision is posted in the original.

This is something that I have not considered and I am really thankful for this input. I didn’t go as far as you did, David, but this really helps me to go on a direction that I like.

Igor, I love gradients, too. And thanks for suggesting it. I added a gradient as you suggested and lifted the white point. I like it!

1 Like

The revision looks great, glad to have you back!

Thanks for posting your revision Adhika. It’s beautiful! I’m always amazed at how the eyes of a few members of this forum can tweak a photo into perfection.

Thanks, Carol!

I agree completely!

Very nice shot. I love the simplicity, in fact the simpler the better. The reworked version is much stronger. Great job on this.

1 Like

Beautiful simplicity. Your reworked version is excellent.

1 Like