Merced River Bottoms in Spring +RP

Crop rework:

I’m not sure if this is better or not. Certainly not for anyone who thinks less sand would be better. Not sure if Ben intended, but I cropped with less trees in mind and so cropped some bare branches on top and empty, darker area on the left. Not sure if the tighter crop takes away from the “open spaces” perception. But thought I would put this out for comparison.

thanks again for your comments!

Original:

Another spring image from my short visit to Yosemite just a few weeks ago now. Most images and impressions of the Merced river might include reflections, the flow, the rocks and drama of a river forging the landscape for a millennia… But it has it’s stories too. While this is predominantly about the spring greens, I wanted to include the “environment” of the expanded Merced river influence. Who knows how long it’s been since the water ran thru this area - probably only a couple of years, but for sure big winter and spring run-offs alter the landscape creating new and future opportunities to explore. Also, this is a scene where without description, this is a scene that could be anywhere… maybe even in @Ben_van_der_Sande 's backyard… :slight_smile:

Specific Feedback Requested

Any and all feedback welcome.

Technical Details

Nikon D800E, 28-300mm, iso 100, f/16 @ 1/4s

I love the spring greens and the dry riverbed feel of the sand. The large image really shows the depth and detail. Well done.

Lon, I like this kind of images. Your guess that it could be in my backyard is well seen . By my backyard I mean the parks and dunes near my home. Because we have no mountains and waterfalls I have to do with small forests (parks). Luckily I like making most of my images there.
I did a small rework on your image. I did crop a little to place the attention a bit more on the logs, the water and the space between them, witch I think is more interesting than the all green top

1 Like

I’m glad I stopped to take a look, Lon. This is a real delight. It has an illustrator’s feel to it and a softness that gives it a very intimate feel. I definitely wouldn’t crop from the bottom. I think the lead-in is very important to this image. For me it almost has a voyeuristic feel of looking into a very private space.

I like this common, non-Ansel Adams awe inspiring look at Yosemite. The composition is solid in my opinion with the log being the central point of focus because it’s the only object not going up and down or side to side. As you say, it’s mostly an image that tells a story about the natural world.

Really nice image here! My only thought was that the sand on the bottom seems to dominate more than you might want it to (or maybe not, lol) - so try a crop or to darken some of that… otherwise, looks nice!

Thank you @David_Bostock , @Ben_van_der_Sande , @Kerry_Gordon , @Igor_Doncov and @Matt_Payne for taking the time to leave a comment and offer your suggestions and impressions. Always appreciated.

I do like the cropping a bit off the “all green top.” a little cleaner cropping out some of the bare branches. In fact, got me thinking and so worked on a new crop. I actually like the sand bar and like Kerry, think the lead-in feature of the sand in addition to the “river bottom” experience has me keeping the sand. but the comment made me realize it’s less about the trees… and more about the nature story.

And to that,

Funny you mention this Kerry because whenever I walk this area (many times over the years) I always feel like I’m walking in to someone’s back yard - a “private space.” It is one of those spaces in Yosemite Valley where despite the crowds and mayhem that can sometimes be Yosemite… I will always find peace here.

1 Like

I like the crop. It brings the log closer to the vertical center where it belongs.