Mexican Blue

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Lighting

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Whatever you feel appropriate.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Changed vibrance slightly.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Pleasant over the back image of what appears to be a Mexican Jay. Nice body position and head turn although another few degrees to the left would be even better. I find the crop a little tight as the tail feathers extend extremely close to the right side of the image.
A good first post.
In the future, please include information about iso, lens, f-stop, shutter speed and any other pertinent information you would find help in critiquing the image.

Nice first post. Keep them coming! Nice pose. Agree with a bit more space on the right. Maybe see if you can clone out the whiteness above the bird-tends to draw the eye.

Welcome to NPN and the Avian forum, Barbara. This is a nice introductory image. I like all the jays. Detail in the bird’s plumage looks pretty good and I like the perch. If you could give us some details of the gear and settings you used, it would be easier to provide constructive criticism. For example, a little more room for the bird would be nice in this image,but if you were using a fixed focus lens you wouldn’t have much choice about the matter-stepping back a couple of paces usually means missing the shot, whereas if you were using a zoom, backing off on that would be relatively simple and probably wouldn’t result in a missed shot. Or you may just have cropped this tightly from a looser original, in which case, I’d suggest a bit more room on both sides, if you have it. If you have the software available and don’t object to some cloning, I agree with Allen that the white patch immediately above the head is a bit distracting.

Again, welcome, and I look forward to seeing much more of your work and your comments on others’ work.

Thank you all for your feedback. I used my 18-300mm lens. Setting f/8,1/400, IS0 320.

So appreciate of the feedback. I am fairly new to digital photography and new to this website, (still figuring out navigation)

Barbara, you have received a lot of good feedback. I might just add that a bit more contrast to the bird itself would make it stand out from the background a bit more. sometimes Dehaze in Lightroom helps if you have this option.

First of all, welcome to NPN, Barbara. A very nice first post. It looks like you have received some very good advice. I am looking forward to seeing more of your images. I hope you enjoy this site as much as I have.