Migration & repost (showing original and another view)

At Owens Farm in Corvallis, OR I stopped to watch all the geese flying in and gathering and some lifting off to leave , it seems they are already migrating back North for the Spring even though it’s just February.

Specific Feedback Requested

It was a rainy, gray day, which I kind of like. Does exposure look ok? I converted to black and white, the original almost was anyway, and thought it looked best to make the geese stand out more.
Anything else

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D3400
ISO 400
300mm
f/6.3
1/1000
Cropped to 16:9, convert to black and white

naturenessie

Looks good. It is a nice grouping of geese. I like the nice clean edges and the pano crop. For me I would like to see more of the trees. Exposure looks good. I think you could lighten the image a bit if you wanted.

1 Like

I agree with David. this is a very nice flock shot-difficult to do. I tend to take lots of shots of this kind of thing, then throw them all away because they don’t quite make it. If you have more canvas at the bottom, I think it would look a bit better with more trees. That would also put the geese a bit higher in the sky.

1 Like

HI Vanessa, I like seeing the various wing positions on the geese - nice flock shot. I agree with the constructive suggestions expressed above. Makes a nice black and white.

1 Like

@David_Leroy @Dennis_Plank @Allen_Sparks
Thank you, David, Dennis, and Allen for looking and your inputs, I’m glad they’re all the same, my thoughts exactly but this is my original image and even when I was shooting I tried keeping the ugliness out of the bottom! It’s too much stuff for me to repair, thus the crop…

I was able to get them continuing the same way with more trees and no more lines but then a lot of them are facing away from the camera. I do have them coming the opposite direction, not quite as close, but there’s more of them and trees, this is original size but converted to black and white, I’d love your thoughts when you get a chance! …

Hi Vanessa, I like the last repost best of all as it has an abstract feel to it with much of the frame having the flying geese and being able to see a more significant amount of the trees. Nice effect with the black and white. I would take out all the partial geese on the edges.

The first repost doesn’t work for me much due to the power lines.

1 Like

Hi Vanessa, I am like Dennis. I don’t know how many shots of large groups of birds I have taken. It is a lot and seldom to I see any I like. I am not sure why they just seem like tough shots to pull off. With this shot I think you need more context so more trees right down to maybe the field level. You have decent spacing in the group but like Allen mentioned the partials along the edges need to be cleaned up.
I do like this better than the first because it is brighter.
They are tough shots and so hard to resist because of the sound and the sight of them.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s why I cropped it the way I did! I’ll have to try taking out some of the geese and maybe doing a bit of a crop on this one! Thanks for your thoughts!

Thanks David! Yeah, this was a different part of the sky and I think I changed my exposure. I love to try to capture flying or moving anything! I find it way more exciting than just something sitting or a landscape! I usually always have my shutter at 1/1000 that way I’m ready, and I can always put it back down for something else that’s not going anywhere! I feel like I’m always adjusting my settings for the lighting, etc! But it makes it more challenging. I hate it when I forget to adjust it back up again and then miss a sweet shot! Thanks for your interest!