Milky Way At Haleakala National Park

Please list any pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

My first ever Milky Way image from on top of Haleakala National Park in Maui. It was super cold up at this elevation but man were the skies dark. I framed up the observatory with the galactic core and got lucky with the alignment and timing. In hindsight I wish I would have taken another exposure for the foreground but this was the result. Thank you for taking a look.

Technical specs: f2.8, ISO 3200, 21mm captured with Sony a7RII and Zeiss Loxia 21

2 Likes

I quite like the juxtaposition of the observatory and the night sky. I find great synergy between the two, making this image work quite well for me. Nicely done!

2 Likes

Thanks so much Harley! Is it me or is the landscape showcase thread fairly inactive? Maybe I need to start posting in the critique section?

Good read on the way of things around here. The showcase images don’t seem to get many comments. And the more you comment on the work of others, typically the more comments you get on your images.

NPN is a great place to hang out, get valuable input, improve your photography and even meet new friends. I have met numerous now close friends I met here over the years.

2 Likes

Heavenly image - superb composition and detail.

1 Like

Thanks Ismar for the comments!

Wonderful Capture of the summer milky way over what I believe is the newest telescope on that mountain, 4 meter solar. It shows the center of the galaxy very well and the composition was well done with the landscape. I have been doing this kind of photography for many years and you hit the gold star on this one.

1 Like

Thanks so much Dean! Yes I believe I was quite lucky with the conditions.

1 Like