Mimicry

A beech tree leaf blends into the rocks of the forest floor. Allegheny State Park, N.Y.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Shot with a Canon EOS R
1/10 Sec @ f 9
105 mm ISO 100

I pointed the camera as straight down as I could to try and get the entire scene sharp.

@todd.higgins
1 Like

Todd, the colors and texture here are just wonderful. And the colors on the leaf really do match with the rock and blend into it. I love the diagonal bands of color in the left half of the image , your processing really does them justice. Nice vision on your part to see this, it is an interesting little nature story.

1 Like

Did you position the leaf, or leave it as first seen?

This is how I found it. That is what made this so much fun for me. The way the leaf blended in and was going against the pattern in the rock.

2 Likes

I also like the color in this image. The composition works well. This is an image about color and texture. I think it needs greater sharpness to bring out that texture. If that can’t be done then I would use the ‘texture’ or ‘clarity’ adjustments in ACR.

1 Like

Good for you !!!

I had a photographer friend who was fond of placing leaves to create scenes. Whenever someone asked him if the leaf was actually found that way, he used to say “well it could have been there” !! :grin:

Well seen and photographed. There isn’t anything that I can add to the comments already made.

If that’s how you found it, then that’s one great find!

The way the leaf color just happens to be different, yet perfectly complimentary is amazing.

Gorgeous detail and color – all said above!

I too am suspicious of the conveniently placed leaf, but nice to know this was serendipity. The color range is so suitable and natural. Strong diagonals and interesting textures keep us looking. At least it keeps me looking. Nicely done.

I like this a lot, Todd. Love the muted hues and especially how the direction of the leaf is perpendicular to the flow of the main diagonals. Well done.