Missed It By That Much!

The Stalk:

The Strike:

The Miss:

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)

I do believe the Heron had an injured wing. He had no problem flying though.

Type of Critique Requested

• Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Just an interesting sequence. I watched him stalk and then stand still like the first picture for at least 7 minutes. So intent and not moving a muscle. Then to come up empty, except for dirt and grass…what a bummer.

Technical Details

350mm, 1/400 sec @ f/7.1, ISO 1250

3 Likes

A very neat sequence, David. You caught the strike pose beautifully and the first one has the look of that body sway they have before a strike, though it could be an illusion. The story definitely comes across with few words needed to support it.

Well, David, he may have missed but you didn’t! I love the sequence. You captured the intensity of a hunter looking for his next meal. I wonder what he was trying to catch? I haven’t seen them hunting on land before so will watch for that when I get to go out where they are at. Nicely done!

Very good sequence. The colors and detail come through well.

Hi David, It’s always interesting seeing these birds hunt in a field of grass for small rodents, etc. I was really surprised when I first saw this behavior but now realize it is quite common. A fine series here that shows the intensity of these predators. I think my favorite is the last image with the dirt in the beak.

1 Like