Mutualism

Folks,
Tree hoppers and ants…that I think is the egg case of tree hopper…
A new experiment with 50 mm and extension tubes and raynox. The rains have still not arrived, and is keeping the macro season away.
6DII, 50 Zeiss, ISO 800, F11, 1/80, 800 ISO
Balan Vinod

Wow, Balan, this is really close up, unless your ants are much larger in your neighborhood! I’m not familiar with the tree hopper, but he is pretty small too, seeing him with the ant. Looks like you are really doing well with wide angle lenses, extension tubes and the raynox. I’m sure enjoying the up close and personal look at these little guys. Well seen and well captured.

Balan: DOF challenges at this magnification are extreme. At the largest image size the lack of sharpness is problematic. I very much like the subject matter and comp and applaud the effort. :+1::+1:>=))>

Balan, this is quite a collection of tiny critters. The sharpness looks great. Was there some interaction between the hopper and the ant? I watched a Monarch caterpillar try to crawl over top of a Black Swallowtail caterpillar on Saturday. The swallowtail wouldn’t have any of that. It raised its rear end and swung it back and forth. The monarch turned around and tried another plant.

One drawback at such high magnifications is that your prime lens has a design magnification limit (that’s likely to be 1/3 or maybe 1/2 life size. Any magnification larger than that (say 1:1) cannot have the sharpness that you get when working within the design range of the prime lens. You may be able to search the manufacturer’s specification and find the design range although most lens manufacturers quite including that specification 20 years ago.

1 Like