My Flagstone Garden + reworked

My Flagstone Garden + reworked

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I am taking an online course in flora photography. The wind has been a major challenge in meeting the requirements for the first week’s assignment. I found a landscape just outside my front door that wasn’t bowing to the gusty winds. It required me to get down to ground (stone) level, but it was worth it. This is one lucky weed that will live to see another day.

Specific Feedback

General reaction and feedback appreciated.

Technical Details

Sony a7vi, 100-400 lens with a 1.4 teleconverter. On a tripod.
ISO 100, f/20, 2 sec. focal length 105 mm
Processed in LR and PS, using Topaz Photo AI to sharpen the subject and Topaz Studio 2 Abstraction filter to simplify the background to soften the textures

I am greatful to @Allen_Sparks for suggesting a shift in the composition. I am hoping the rework is what you had in mind. @Dennis_Plank I agree that OOF puff had to go. The night winds caried it away, and saved me the “fun” of focus stacking.

The reworked version is closer to the actual flagstone.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Hi Barbara, I like seeing the green of the plant among the starkness of the stone. Good contrast. Wonder about moving the plant more to the right as for me the image seems to be flowing a bit right to left.

Nice composition and the contrast between the plant and the stones is very appealing. Given that you were on a tripod and using long exposures, I think a small stack might have worked a bit better as I find the out of focus puffball a bit distracting.

I like the repost Barbara. The stark stone of the original was a nice effect but I like the warmer colors in the rework also. I prefer the composition in the rework with the plant being off center.

Thanks, Allen. I am happy with the rework. I did not realize how much I had altered the color of the flagstone.