Mystery below your gaze ( + 1 rework )

Re-edit with +30 texture. Too much? Not enough?

More shadows anyone?

Dense undergrowth was pretty thick in the woods I wandered off to, but I managed to find a little bit without that worked. At least I think it does.

Specific Feedback Requested

There are some shadows from the small branches on the snow in the front. Pondered trying to eliminate those, but decided to soften them instead. Do the two midline patches of shadow bother you?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Panasonic DC-G9
LUMIX G VARIO 35-100mm F2.8
Focal Length 93.0 mm (186mm equiv.)
f/11 | 1/500 | ISO 200

Lr for B&W conversion, slight crop, overall balancing of exposure, highlights & shadows. A bit of sharpening then into Ps to remove some debris on the snow.

the.wire.smith

The two patches don’t bother me. I would suggest adding more texture to the snow with perhaps the ‘texture’ slider. I think this would improve with a crisper look.

Lovely composition, the two midlines parches of shadow works just fine.

Thanks guys. A fresh copy is on the OP.

The two patches of shadow don’t bother me at all. I like how this scene has some of the feel of all the great Death Valley dune images we see here at NPN, there are some similarities, in style if nothing else.

The added texture in the rework feels a bit strong for my taste, the areas of white snow become somewhat grainy. I think the apparent sharpness could be enhanced by simply increasing contrast, which will sharpen the edges between shadows and snow, making the image look a little crisper.

Yeah, for me, too, but it never hurts to try. It’s just 1s and 0s.