Nature Preserve in Winter

This was quite an unexpected shot. On a foggy December morning before work with camera in vehicle (naturally), I made a quick stop at a local nature preserve. A short walk along the trails revealed this scene. What caught my eye was the splash of green (which was not enhanced for the photograph.) In an otherwise monochromatic landscape on a cold and foggy morning, it was delightful to see a warm color.

Please list any pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Nikon D810 with a Nikon 24-120 f/4 lens. Hoya polarizing filter, Manfrotto tripod and ball head. Nikon Capture NX2 software.

3 Likes

Marc,

Great mood and atmosphere in this one. Of course though, the patch of green grabs the attention - and actually helps to anchor the scene.

good eye to spot and recognize the potential here.

Lon

I’m sorry, I had thought this was posted in the critique forum, so excuse my deleted comment! I really enjoy low-saturation images with a splash of color to draw the eye. That tree has a lot of personality in the way it seems to be gesturing to the left. I can feel the atmosphere of the day… makes me want to take a cold walk in the woods.

Mar, sometimes the unexpected shots are the best. I love the mood and muted colors here. It does a great job of conveying these interesting weather conditions.