NE Scenic

What technical feedback would you like if any? Composition OK?

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Dry stream bed in CT. This area had these wild colors throughout the forest floor. Taken with Canon SX50, F4.5, 1/50 sec., ISO 200 at -0.7.

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Where’s the flowers? Just kidding. A very inviting scene. I would like to take a walk along that stream bed.

Patricia,Great colors in a wonderful place you found. I think there is more if you divide the image in parts for separate images. For example the green bushes between the two trees next to them.Now it is in my eyes rather busy. I gave it a try and now I hope it makes sense.

There has been such a terrible drought in New England this fall, many water features were totally dried up. I applaud you for making lemonade out of lemons here. This scene reminds me very much of photographing the dry washes in the upper part of Zion NP during autumn, with all the fallen leaves littering the dry stream bed. I also like the nice mix of colors especially the red against the green.

My suggestion would be to burn down the stream bed at the bottom, I think it would create more color and texture in the leaves and rocks in the stream bed. And it would help balance the luminosity across the entire image. Nice work Patricia.

He’s right, you know.

Actually, I would do it judiciously. The rocks in the llc stand out and the ones on the right edge by the tree. I like the inclusion of the layer of rocks. It makes it more unique and gives a broader sense of the place.

Thanks for your suggestions. I burned the stream bed and dodged the foliage. Any better?

The rock in the llc is still too bright.

I agree Igor. If I darken more it gets a “funky” look, so I used content aware and removed the troublesome rock. Thanks for your input.

Pat

Yes Pat, the center of the stream bed now looks better, but I agree with Igor about the LLC.

Sometimes you need a few more gradual adjustment, Patricia. I have done something similar with -0.5, -1.0, -1.5 adjustment layers. At each step I will call L2 or L3 luminosity mask to add in the darker exposures gradually.