Nearly Mount Fee

I turned up this evening to photograph Mount Fee which is a jagged volcanic peak in BC’s coastal range. Unfortunately the peak was shroded but there was some interesting clouds around it’s sub peak. Here are two interpretations of the scene a few minutes apart.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback or commentary. If you have a preferred image please let me know.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

nathankleinphotos

Very nice, indeed. I always struggle with images like these as to whether I want to go with colour or monochrome. I think this one would work well either way but I love this colour interpretation because the blue cast gives me a feel for the cold, unforgiving feel of the snow field. I like both images but prefer the landscape mode because it gives more of a feel for the vast, expansiveness. The composition is superb as is the lighting. The cloud seems to be reaching out to touch the peak. The dark forest “v” running up both the lower left and right in the frame both grounds and gives the image a sense of dynamism. The experience of awe is very much in evidence.

A very nice scene. I find more drama in the first, because of the very interesting structure in the clouds and the way it points to the peak. I think even more might be brought out, and some highlights could be tamed. I’m a little conflicted about the blue cast in the darks. The enlargement shows wonderful detail there but some competition from noise.

Here are some ideas, with conversion to sRGB. The blown whites are cemented into the JPEG but should be amenable to some control in the raw file.

The image also doesn’t have an embedded color profile, which will cause some browsers to see it incorrectly. My browser assumes it was converted to sRGB, and I told PS to make that same assumption.

I too prefer the large version for the feeling of free space, of liberty. I love he movement of the cluods all around the mauntain creating a bright halo over the pick. Excellent Nathan.

The larger version works for me, but I prefer Diane’s treatment - the overwhelming blue doesn’t add nuance to my eyes.

I like the horizontal for it more expansive view of the mountain grandeur. But I prefer @Diane_Miller processing in the rework. In Diane’s rework she has teased out more texture and definition in the clouds , and I prefer the warmer interpretation of the scene. Both of these things make the image more appealing to me.

Count me in for the larger one too. Nicely framed. I think I prefer the warmer version that @Diane_Miller posted but your version is fine too.

Thanks @Kerry_Gordon @Diane_Miller @Giuseppe_Guadagno @_Kris @Ed_McGuirk
@David_Bostock

I take your points on the warmth. I think I’m in a blue phase in my processing. It may have something to do with the weather cooling off!

Dianne, with the embedded colour profile are you referring to the check box in photoshop save for web “embed color profile”? I did not know that browsers pick up on this and use this to refer the image for a browser client. I keep this unchecked but the convert to sRGB is checked.

1 Like

Yes, that’s the place to check and it always should be checked for any web viewing, and even email. Browsers will use the embedded profile, which should be sRGB (with the image being converted to sRGB, not assigned, as that would change colors). If they don’t find a profile, some will display the image in the monitor profile, which will give incorrect colors.

If you export from LR there is no checkbox as the profile is automatically embedded.

1 Like