Needlefish Boogie_Thailand

We had spent two days whale watching in the Gulf of Thailand and on the previous days trip I noticed these needlefish jumping out from the side of the boat as we returned to the dock. Failing to capture a shot on that first trip, I was alert to the possibility of getting a second chance, and as luck would have it I was rewarded with another opportunity.

Gulf of Thailand

D500
500mm f/4
1/3200s @ f/7.1
ISO 640
1/3 EV
Handheld
Any and all comments are appreciated.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Now that’s way cool, Chuck. I love the wake this critter created. It’s interesting that you posted this, as I recently saw a documentary piece on Thailand where the local fishermen use spider webs they fashion into lures which they attach to a kite string, and with the help of makeshift kites they catch these fish by letting their tiny mouths, too small for hooks, get tangled in the lures. Truly fascinating. I’m curious, how big are these guys?

1 Like

Good question Bill. I just looked the fish up in Wikipedia and they describe the length between 1.2 and 37.4 inches (3-95cm). From what I remember of the encounter this guy was on the larger end of the scale.

Chuck

That row of splashes is just plain awesome, Chuck. Great image.

1 Like

Charles: what an excellent capture of the action and one could easily mistake this for a tail walking sailfish. Knowing how small a needlefish is, this is a remarkable photo. It’s a wall hanger in my opinion. Richard

1 Like

Speaking as a dedicated lifetime licensed and certified Fish Head, this is so far over the top, it’s in a league by itself!

1 Like

Chuck - an amazing shot and the water splashes are especially awesome.
Sandy

Great body language and beautiful pattern of splashes .