Needles in the Evening

Splendid evening light on a segment of the eponymous formations in the Needles section of Canyonlands NP.

Technical Details

Composite: No
EF 200-400mm @ 200mm; f/18 @ 1/1000 sec, -0.67 EV, ISO 6400

4 Likes

Beautiful light and a wonderful scene, Bob. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you, David. That is one slice of an 8 foot panorama I made that evening (12 images across). I am attaching a copy, but it is challenging to appreciate at 15" x 3.75"

1 Like

Wow! What a panorama!

David:

I originally published the panoramic image in Outdoor Photographer in 2020. The description of the image and technique used to capture it—how and why—accompanied the image and is posted below.
Splendid September evening light on the eponymous formations in the Needles section of Canyonlands NP. The Needles are a series of spires located to the southwest of Squaw Flat campground that surround the Chesler Park area of the Needles District. They are formed out of a resistant red and white sandstone layer called Cedar Mesa Sandstone which makes up most of the rock features in the Needles District. This formation, Devil’s Wall, is approximately four miles long. This panoramic view was made from 12 images captured at a distance of four miles and stitched together. To reduce focal point distortion and maintain sharpness throughout, when making an image of such a wide subject from a single vantage point, one must capture it from a great enough distance that the rotation of the camera, and thus the plane of the sensor, can be minimized.

1 Like

Excellent. Thanks for the note and text from Outdoor Photographer. Congratulations on getting this published.

Cheers,
David

Beautiful photo! I’ve been to Island in the Sky several times but have never made it to the Needles area. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you, Tony. The Needles section is a less popular than the Island in the Sky, and the Maze is even less-frequently visited. I would endorse doing to the Needles section, yet a high-clearance, 4WD vehicle is necessary if you want to explore. There are numerous companies in Moab who offer a wide variety of tours.