New nest, new nesters

My wife picked up a swallow nesting cup when she was stationed in Germany years ago and couldn’t remember the name of the company that made it. For years, it was occupied by Cliff Swallows. Then, several years ago, she ran across one at Goodwill with the tag still attached, and bought it. We were able to track down an American supplier, but they are priced at nearly $40, so we haven’t bought too many and the colony was outgrowing them. This last winter, I finally ran across a similar design at the wild bird feed store we use for some of our needs and it was priced under $20, so I decided that it was worth trying, though the geometry is slightly different. This pair acts like newlyweds to me. They’re always snuggled up together and they seem not quite sure of where to go with their house construction.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything. I used fill flash for this and the plumage seemed rather flat looking, so I tried giving it some pop. I’d be interested in your assessment of my results.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

Any pertinent technical details:

7Dii, Sigma 150-600 C, hand held braced on top of a ladder, f/8, 1/160, iso 1600, aperture priority, spot metering, -1/3 EV, with flash at -2 EV. Processed in LR & PS CC. Noise reduction using Neat Image, plumage enhancement with Topaz detail. Full frame.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Love it - perfect positioning in the frame, and true colours.
Does still seem a bit “flat” to me
Our swallows are back, but so far showing NO interest in the not-cheap swallow condo we put up this year.

Sandy