Nockamixon Lily Pads

Nockamixon Lily Pads

This is an early morning shot taken at Nockamixon State Park in the Philadelphia suburbs. In late summer these lily pads are everywhere. On this warm morning, the quality of light was great. The sun had risen, but it was behind a bank of clouds. So a strong yet gentle light fell everywhere. I took full advantage, which included wading out into the lake to capture this image. Although it may not appear as such, my camera, with an extreme wide angle lens attached, was just inches above the water.

Nikon D810 with a Nikon 12-24 f/4 lens, Lee neutral density graduated filter, Hoya polarizer
ISO = 64, Aperture = f/18, Shutter speed = 2 seconds, focal length = 12mm

Please list any pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

2 Likes

A serene image, Marc, with some very delicate colouring. The wide angle effect works beautifully.

I love this, Marc. Very creative, effective use of the ND grad and polarizer. I don’t remember ever seeing such a nice assortment of lily pads, and that warm light is so inviting. Terrific WA work !

Thank you guys. The light on this morning was great, and it lasted forever. I love this wide angle lens. It took some time to learn how to use it, but now I am able to get some amazing shots.

A really strong image Marc. I love the golden hues, the leaf pads and the faint background mist gives the image a good separation.

Thank you Simeon, and welcome to NPN. This morning had a unique combination of factors (light quality and color, mist, arrangement of pads, etc.) that made for a great scene. I’m glad I was there to capture it.

Back
Forward