Northeast Kingdom Tapestry

This image is from one of my favorite locations for autumn color in New England, the “Northeast Kingdom” of Vermont, up near the Canadian border. This section of Vermont is a transition zone between the maple/beech hardwood forest more common in central Vermont, and the boreal forest in Canada. Finding pleasing arrangements of the trees is harder than one might think, but I enjoy staring through telephoto lenses to extract what I can. Having a touch of fog doesn’t hurt either :yum:

Please do not critique this image. Galleries are for sharing and discussion only.
8 Likes

Gorgeous, Ed! Love the mood, color and overall scene. The clouds really take this to the next level.

Thanks for the comments Harley, it’s appreciated. The other thing that I like about this image is that it shows you don’t have to have full peak color either, sometimes a little green mixed in is a nice touch. Of course fall color in New England was 7 to 10 days late this year, and maybe I’m just trying to rationalize getting there a little too early.

Beautiful work Ed! Hard to beat New England for fall colors.

1 Like

Very beautiful, Ed. The mist adds great atmosphere. Been many years since I experienced a Vermont fall. Makes me want to plan a trip back next year!

1 Like

Nicely done. I really appreciate the different tones of warm colors here (light vs dark).

1 Like

Truly beautiful color range - and I know what you mean about it being hard to extract compositions from forest scenes like this. I find it to be one of the most difficult (and often frustrating) undertakings. You did well!!

1 Like

A real stellar image for sure!

1 Like

Sweet! Perfectly balanced comp. I love the isolated red tree juxtaposed against the line of evergreens in the lower-right third. Nice anchor that leads you into the patterns that flow through the rest of the frame.

1 Like

This is wonderful, Ed. The mix of fall color in with the green always look good tome and having that fog just looks great. Nice work with this composition as well. Really nice!

1 Like

Fantastic color Ed and I really like your use of your telephoto to isolate the scene. The fog adds lots of mood as well.

1 Like

Sweet! Gorgeous arrangement of trees, and the fog really sets the mood. Nicely done, Ed.
-P

1 Like

Ed, these are glorious fall colors. And the layers of fog in between really enhance the mood. I agree - some of my favorite fall color images are with long glass.

1 Like

I keep coming back to this one for another look. It really is a stunning image! Something I never say, but thanks for sharing it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is truly a beauty Ed!

1 Like

Thank you very much Harley, glad you enjoyed it. This trip to Vermont had so many days of rain and fog that it got depressing after a while, but I was glad I had those conditions when i saw how this image turned out.

Frame it…
DOF, fog and vision…
Scenes like this seem simple until you want shoot one.
Excellent work.

Back
Forward