Northern Wheatear

Description:

One of my friends reported that a Northern wheatear was observed in Central Ohio. I usually do not chase avian rarities because most are one day wonders and never stick around. This bird decided to hang around for some shutter snaps so I obliged. The perch is a concrete car stop at a parking lot in this park. Covered with snow and with some very fine grass stems, I could not resist getting this shot. This species is circumpolar in distribution with most overwintering in North Africa. Based on plumage, this particular bird may have originated from Greenland.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

D500 600mm f4 (1/320 sec at f6.3, ISO 100) Levels, DeNoise, Dehaze,Brightness & Contrast, Crop for comp. I positioned the camera fairly low to get the comp.
Is this a composite?

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

jameszablotny

Beautiful image, Jim . Some purists might advise removing the cross stems that cross behind the bird, but I like them. That concrete barrier actually makes a pretty nice perch-looks very much like a rock. Excellent work.

1 Like

Excellent all around. Did Hans send this one here?

1 Like

Congrats on the rarity. I like the composition with the snow and wisps of foliage and the bird shows some nice color and detail.

1 Like

Somehow I missed this image - congrats on getting the bird and the EP. I love them but have never seen them in snowy conditions, as we only get them in spring/summer/fall, but never in winter (and we almost never have snow in winter). Makes it a special image to me ! Love it ! Hans

1 Like