Not a turkey

This is a Northern Fulmer taken from a cliff looking down towards the shaded ocean. This is about a 50% crop from the original. These birds fly most quickly and one needs to catch them from a distance to maintain focus as they approach. These are fairly common seabirds in the North Atlantic. They can be found on the Alaska coast and the Maritime provinces in Canada. Taken in northwest Iceland.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
ISO 640, 400+1.4 X, F5 .6, 2000th, Sony alpha-1

Beautiful bird against the dark blue/black background, David. I love the wing position and the angle of the bird to you. A really fine image.

Good detail and the angle you have him at somehow gives a sense of motion.

I used to enjoy these on the coast of South Cork in Ireland. Seen from a clifftop you get good views of them with the sea as backdrop, just as you did here. You also caught the beautiful eye. Nice shot.

Hi David
When I first looked at this Northern Fulmar, I though it was in the Gull family. The nice looking whites and brown feather give the Fulmar a pop off the dark blue background. Thank you for my first look at a Northern Fulmar.
Peter

Terrific pose and crisp detail. Hard to do in the whites so congrats on that. The water backdrop fills in so much about how these birds live and hunt. Really great and a new bird for me, too.