Not Quite Sure of the System

This female Purple Finch didn’t quite seem to know how to get a drink from the drip. It may not be obvious, but that drop is indeed on her beak. The next frame shows it spreading out. She did get it figured out.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Sony a6500, FE200-600 @ 470 mm, tripod with ballhead and Sidekick mount, f/8, 1/800, iso 1600, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Noise reduction with Neat Image and just a touch of feather enhancement with Topaz Detail 3. Rotated and cropped to 5083x3922. Taken June 21st at 1:06 pm.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

It always amazes me what opportunists wildlife are. You did a great job of capturing one of those moments, Dennis. Every wildlife photographer loves catching moments like this. Very nice.

Too funny, Dennis. I have enjoyed all of your shots of the birds with the drip, but this one tops them all, I think. You actually captured refraction in the drip on top of it’s beak. I also like the long drip dropping down, about to hit her with another drop. Wonderful details and a very nice behavior shot. :+1: :+1:

Way too cute Dennis. I like how the branch, the “drip” and the bird’s tail are all at the same angle. The expression and clarity on it’s face are fantastic. Great capture.

Fantastic capture…love the lines diagonal throughout. Almost looks like a finger offering water to the bird. Love this!

Cute. Wonder what she was thinking with that drop of water on her beak? Good detail as usual. The water droplets coming down are interesting.

A very nice and a fun capture of this little learning event, Dennis! Nicely composed and very good detail on the bird. It obviously was low light (based on your settings) but I wish you could have squeezed out a little more shutter speed as it would have provided more clarity and definition of that all important drop of water. A unique shot, and I like the story that goes with it :wink: