Nuthatch and Friend

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I’ve never seen a bug like that before!
Because of my health issues Parkinsons, I am a lot less nimble and typing has become a chore. So I rely on voice dictation software. I have used Dragon Naturally Speaking for years as part of my previous work life. I now have a win 11 laptop and my previous version 15 does not work on Win 11 so I had to upgrade and wound up getting vesrion 16 from what I thought was a Nuance reseller. Turns out it was a nonworking forgery probably loaded with malware or . I did get ahold of the real Nuance, who BTW is now owned by microsoft. They informed me the software serial number was fake and who else knows. Anyhow I out some $600. So this scam has been a problem for a while and I just couldent tell. Bottom line, I had to wipe my new laptop and rebuild from new.
So I lost some stuff in the process and so far, nothing more. This laptop was purely dedicated to my photography. If you have ever had to rebuuild from scratch, it is not easy. The fraudulent seller called themselves “Dragon Online Store.” Buyer beware.

Specific Feedbackme a chore.

any

Technical Details

iso 2000, 400 plus 1.4x F7.1 2000th, Sony A1i

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

What a great catch! Nice poses from bird and 'fly. Really nice detail.
From here, the BG seems a bit bright and might be toned down.
Colours generally seem flat, and could use more sat and vibrance.
If you used the highlight slider on the highlight/shadow option, I find it generally gives a very weird flat result.
SO sorry about your health issues, and that you got caught by a scammer. They are everywhere. I don’t trust anything any longer

This is really cool, David. Someone on the site can probably identify the Dragonfly. I could see a bit more saturation in the nuthatch, but this time of year they can be quite washed out, so that may be an accurate portrayal.

What a great two-fer. Nice pose and detail in the nuthatch. I like the perch as well.

Nice double catch David with an interesting perch too. I see color variations here in the winter from pretty vivid to more on the pale side like this individual. Nice capture of the two!

How cool is this!!? (Very!) I could see going just a tad darker in the mid-tones with a slight dip in a Curve, but light reflecting off feathered backs can give this low-contrast look. I love the soft BG, with just the right hint of structure! I could see lightening the darker area in the UL or blending its edge a little, but that is a small deal if it is a physical challenge.

Sympathies with the computer issues on top of the physical ones – that is not fair! It’s so good to see you posting again – I hope you can have smooth sailing now!

for Diane Is this what you were thinking?

Hmmm – now I see I should have suggested not only lightening but changing the color a bit more yellow, to blend in better. I gave it a try on the OP. The mask was made with a largeish soft brush but it needed a bit of trimming back (with black brush on the layer with the mask active) after the adjustment to make the edge match well. A curve lightened with the RGB channel and pushed more yellow with the Blue channel – quick and dirty.