Nuthatch Heaven

I’ve been having problems getting focused on these while they’re on a perch this winter (they don’t stay long), so out of frustration I shot this one as it contemplated the peanut shelf before grabbing one and going elsewhere to consume it.

Specific Feedback Requested

The tails on these are almost nonexistent, but I’m still not sure I left enough room at the bottom.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony a6500, FE200-600 @ 600 mm, gimbal head mounted to blind window, f/8, 1/400, iso 1600, manual exposure, fill flash at -2.7 through camo mesh (seemed to work fine). Processed in LR and PS CC. Cropped to 3400 x 4008 from a horizontal original (a bit of canvas added to the top and some off the bottom). Taken yesterday at 9:22 am as the overcast was starting to break up.

1 Like

Dennis, he is a really cute little bird. Love the pose he gave you. I don’t blame you, I would be taking any photo of this little guy, if I couldn’t get him to stay on a nice perch long enough to get a good shot. Lighting is really nice. Wonderful details in the feathers. Where the tail isn’t visible anyway, I wouldn’t think allowing enough room would be an issue. Just my take on it. Great shot.

I never thought about doing the peanut shelf. Good idea! My issue is the birds all seem to know exactly where the feeders are and now rarely pose on the perch. Nice color and detail.

Lost in a sea of goodies!! He looks a little glassy-eyed at the prospect. Well done!

Yes, these guys almost never pose for me at my set up - always on the move it seems. Quite nerve wracking but they are too beautiful to give up on so I can see why you took this shot amongst the peanuts. Nice details and a cute pose!