October Spider

I had been watching this guy set-up ‘Web Quarters’ outside near my shop door for several days. Cooler temps that have arrived slowed him down enough for me to get a few shots which was not easy due to the tedious location. The under side of this subject through the web was an easy shot but wanting a top view and without disturbing the web, I had to crawl under the subject on my back. With arms fully extended shooting upward, hand held and repositioning several times for the optimal background, this was the result.

Image Techs:
File name RAMY_2209_SD11
Camera Model Canon EOS 7D Mark II
Shooting Date/Time 10/2/2020 6:13:19 PM
Author Michael Ramy
Copyright Notice CopyRight Rock Art, Ltd All Rights Reserved
www.MikieProductions.com
Shooting Mode Manual Exposure
Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/250
Av(Aperture Value) 16
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 400
Auto ISO Speed OFF
Lens EF24-70mm f/2.8L USM
Focal Length 70.0mm
E-TTL II flash metering Evaluative flash metering
Flash Exposure Compensation -2 2/3
Hand held

Mike, it’s good to see you posting again. This is a nicely dramatic and somewhat spooky look at this spider. I’d say your persistence paid off well.

Hi Mike, dark and foreboding was my initial reaction to this image, so you’re efforts were successful on this October Spider. Appreciate the sharpness and detail even though the DOF was very narrow. The flash did a nice job of highlighting the main subject and keeping the background dark. If anything, I would wish for a little more exposure on this guy.