Ohio Spiderwort

An interesting and long-blooming native perennial for the border, naturalized area, meadow or open spaces of the woodland garden. Clusters of blue to purple (less frequently rose), three-petaled flowers (0.75-1.5" diameter) bloom from late May into early July. Each flower opens up for only one day. Its unusual blue-green soft foliage and tendency to bloom in the morning sun and close from mid-day heat make this an attractive addition wherever it is found. The Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation has listed Ohio Spiderwort as ‘Special Value to Native Bees’ for attracting a large number of native bees, including bumble bees. I have also seen it visited by Ruby-throated Hummingbirds. This specimen is growing on my property.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 60D, Canon 70-300mm IS USM zoom @ 160mm, f/8, 1/180 sec., ISO 400, Hand Held. Processed in ACR for exposure, sharpness, and cropping. Topaz De-noise applied.

Very neat, but wow, the colors look really oversaturated on my monitor. Purple especially looks blown out. There’s no detail that I can see in the petals. Eeek. Sorry.

Hmmmm…I’ll take a look at it and maybe try again.

Terry, my spiderwort has just shown it’s first blooms. They are an interesting flower. I like your framing, with the leaves surrounding. I too am surprised by the lack of detail in the flower petals.