Ohiopyle Falls at Dawn

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I captured this image at 6 AM employing an ND-6 filter. I was attempting to capture the divergence of the water after the falls.

Specific Feedback

I am considering printing the image. I am always a bit nervous about printing B&W images, potentially losing detail in the blacks. I am new to creating B&W images and any advice is appreciated.

Technical Details

Sony a7RV with 24-70 mm GMII lens shot at 39mm. f/18, ISO 200. 0.25" with ND-3 filter. Processed in LrC to balance the black and whites.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

I like the composition of this image, but, as processed, I think it is too contrasty, particularly if you intend to print it. Some of the waterfall looks close to being blown out, and the trees in the background are dark enough that I think they would be black without details in a print. Since you took the image at dawn, I assume the contrast range of the scene did not exceed your camera’s dynamic range. So can you reprocess for less contrast?

Thanks Will – I agree with you. I overprocessed it without proper masking. I will reset to original RAW and process and repost. The original file was correctly exposed – I did the damage jumping between correcting the black then pivoting to the whites.

Will – Please take a look at the updated image. I started from the original RAW file.

I’m still a little concerned about the blacks when processing the image for printing on matte – I am new to printing, but I have a handle on SOFT proofs, ICC profiles, and a calibrated monitor.

I appreciate your insights.

Thanks.

Charles

The texture in the water is much better now. The blacks might not print with detail, but they’re not the main part of the image. If you do your own printing, I’d suggest a small test print to see if you like it

1 Like

Thanks Will.

Charles,
Your B&W rework is much improved and I agree with @WillR about making small test prints until you get it where you want. Did you happen to shoot the slides while you were in Ohiopyle SP? They make for some interesting subjects as well.

Unfortunately no. We will be back to the area. I shot the Cucumber Falls and the Sugar Run Falls (a bit of a trek). I try to get out around 6 AM.