Old friends

I fell in love with these two trees on a recent hike. I am feeling like I didn’t spend enough time working on the composition. Are the background elements distracting in their current positions (trees in the lower right, horizon line)? Should I have made some effort to exclude the boring ground next to the trees on the left? I am open to all feedback (technical, composition, etc).

Technical details: Panasonic GX85, 14-140 mm lens @ 14 mm, f10, 1/320, ISO 500, hand held

Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

These are really fine trees, but I am finding they are having a hard time standing out against the background. Hard to say, but perhaps getting lower might provide a means to contrast them from what lies behind? The B&W conversion looks good with them for mood.

1 Like

Well done B&W image. I really like the texture on the trees and tend to agree with Harley’s comment about the background.

1 Like

Thank you Harley! I am feeling like I should have worked on clearing the background more as well. Thanks for the compliment on the B & W choice. I am very happy with that too.

The texture is what drew me to them. Thanks for the feedback!

Becky,
I like the basic idea here and the B&W processing looks great as it has a wide range of tones. If you could ever get back to reshoot this I would try a lower POV so the limbs on the two main trees did not intersect with the evergreens. That might also place more of the limbs higher in the image and out of the shoreline in the BG so as to get a little more tonal separation. I hope that helps.

1 Like

I will definitely try this! Thanks for the comment. This is fairly close to home so I will get to go back at some point.

I really like your composition in this image. It’s well thought out. Those branches give it a bit of an ominous look to it but that’s ok. There’s a troubling sense about it, as though not all is well. It has something to say. I like it.

1 Like

I love the texture and shape of the trees, these trees make a wonderful subject for B&W. I agree with the others comments about separating the trees from the background. This would a case where less would be more. Getting down low and shooting them against the sky would simplify things.

1 Like

This is late to the party, but I like this image and wanted to offer my 2 cents. I like the comp because it puts the viewer in a place, which is an interesting place. The 2 pine trees anchor the view out into this interesting space. I like the fact that they are on the edge of bluff overlooking other interesting elements of the scene: the patch of evergreens on the area to the right, the lake or river that we look out over, the landform across the water, and a sky with decent clouds. So you have an interesting foreground, midground, and backdrop of nice landform and sky. I agree with the suggestion to get just a little lower to separate the lower branches from the pine trees below. This wouldn’t have to change the persective much. Also, I would consider cropping out the half tree on the extreme right.

Black and white simplifies things a log, and the it’s clear these trees are the visual focus of this image. The only thing I can recommend is maybe a vignette at the edges, especially on the left to reinforce that perception.

1 Like

A belated thank you for your thoughtful feedback. (was taking a break from screen time)

I will give that a try - thank you!