Orchid spp. - Quinta da Boa Vista, Funchal, Madeira

Other photographs I have posted from this portfolio have been native plants in situ. Following the same protocol of leaving plants in place, not moving to a studio, in this case, the owner of Quinta da Boa Vista orchid propagation greenhouses graciously allowed me to wander the propagation areas and photograph plants in place.

The other variation from my usual practice, I removed the stem of the flower cluster with PS in the image processing.

Technical Details

Composite: No
The background is an Impact Hexi 24, portable, light-weight, fabric light-box housing a Nikon SB-500 Speedlight. Two small Nikon Wireless Remote SB-R200 Speedlights with diffusers provide frontal lighting. All flash are manual; they are triggered and output intensity is adjusted with a Vello FreeWave IR Commander on the camera hot shoe. (Older Nikon models had a built-in Commander Mode so the Vello may not be necessary.) The background is pure white (255 for each RGB Channel) Photographs are processed in Adobe LRC, Bridge, and PS.

Nikon D-850, Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 100mm f/2 ZE, f22

1 Like

This is absolutely stunning! Keep them coming.

Thank you, Patricia. I had a wonderful time at Quinta da Boa Vista. The owner was gracious and allow me access to his production tables. Once I processed the images I posted them to his Google Review and sent him electronic images.