Osprey first solo 2

This was the first day of flight school for this girl, following several days of ground school where she learned to flap her wings but had yet to part with the ground. She made several short hops to maybe a foot above the nest, with body language that looked somewhere between worry and terror. This was shortly before the earlier one I posted. I wish the right foot was more visible but I love the gesture – like she’s trying to climb a pole.

Specific Feedback Requested:

All comments welcome!

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 1DX2, 100-400 II +1.4X at 450mm, f/8, 1/2500 sec at ISO 2000. Cropped to about 50% of the full frame. PS for NR and some minor cloning.

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)
No

1 Like

Excellent color, sky saturation and detail. I might cut the highlights a bit on the bright area behind the face. /good job on processing the large crop.

Wow this really shows off those talons! Glad I am not a fish. I like the pose too and the story it tells. Great job getting details in both the shadows and bright areas. Fine work Diane!

Nice work. Good details and exposure is nice. Such cool birds.

Wonderful story telling! As usual, colours are honest. Sharp from wing tip to wing tip.

Very good, Diane. I really like that pose and you got a ton of detail in the highlights. Very good processing, though I think you could bring the shadows down just a touch.

Great detail and the pose especially the head looking down to where he is going

Wooo-whee this is nice. Great energy and action…champing at the bit so to speak. The talons are wicked. I agree with Dennis that the shadows could come down a nudge.