Osprey Precision Landing

I am always intrigued with the accuracy birds have in hitting exactly the precise landing spot. Ospreys and Eagles are more fun to watch, but mostly because of their size.

Technical Details

Composite: Yes
This is a four shot composite shot with a D810 coupled to a Nikon 200-400 @300mm, f/8, 1/1,500, ISO 400

The easy part of this edit was not having to mess with matching sky to clouds, etc. as the sky was a pristine blue. Using the select and mask tool allowed me to get each sequence in the precise order, and place it. I did the editing basics in PS including using TK’s lights and dark masks for tonal control and color.

2 Likes

A really interesting composite, Chris. Just how did you manage to place the first 3 shots in the correct position? Did you use a tripod and superimpose the perch in each shot? I’ve tried this with egrets, but still found the placing of all but the last shot a hit-and-miss process (not having used a tripod!). Looking at Muybridge’s galloping horse pictures, that seems easy now compared with what you’ve done here!

2 Likes

Thanks, Mike. Well, shooting 10 frames a second makes getting the sequence with no issues. I just went back from shot six and placed these four in the exact order they were shot. Selecting and masking was quite easy. I love doing composites and do quite a few of them from Ospreys to Egrets, Herons and aircraft. I rarely shoot on a tripod unless it is for lightning or long exposures. This sequence was all hand held.

1 Like

I really like this effect. I have some Bald Eagle images I would love to try this with. Great shots.

1 Like