Osprey with Shad

The annual shad run is an outstanding opportunity for nature photographers. Bald eagles, ospreys, cormorants and great blue heron are all fishing in the same place. This is a new crop for me as I have always included the entire bird in the past. Lots of action with the fish not quite out of the water yet and the nice early morning light on the river.

Specific Feedback Requested

Thoughts on overall composition. Does the closeup work ?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D500, Nikon 200-500, 1/2000 F8 ISO 1600.

4 Likes

Woah, this is outstanding. Both eyes are in focus and the action nicely frozen. The crop works, but you could go tighter if you want, isolating both faces and the splash. Maybe play with it and see how you like it. The exposure looks decent, the whites bright, but they don’t look blown. What a catch. For both of you!

Wow, love the closeup action, Andrew. I like the crop as is.

Great action, Andrew. I think the close-in crop works nicely for this situation and it really shows off the fish.

Great action shot. The crop works well to draw attention to the eyes. Well captured.

The crop works well. It’s all about the shape of the combined animals taking up the frame, so it’s quite effective. In that sense, even if you cropped from the right a bit to completely center everything, I think it would still work.

What a spectaculair moment you captured here. The closeness of the crop works for me, however I always prefer a 3:2 ratio - probably because I am used to that :wink: . But, great as presented. Cheers, Hans

Wow! I love the details, the bird’s tail about to spring out of the water, the ripped flesh of the fish … but the eyes make it for me.