Out of Africa

Photographed on the Mediterranean coast of Morocco at dusk. Were the evening light to be different we would be able to see the coastline of Iberia and Europe from here just 14km away.
The pink glow had an extremely calming effect on me and sent me into deep reflection. As I gazed out at the water I wondered how many people before me had stood in exactly the same spot for millennia lost in their own thoughts as I was now lost in mine.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments that could help me improve this image would be grateful.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D850 f 7.1 1/60 iso 640

@philiptrafalgar

Awesome shot Philip and welcome. The colors and layers are beautiful and I really like overall peaceful mood. I think a bit slower of a shutter speed might possibly add to the peaceful mood? Not so slow that you loose the lines but slow enough to smooth out some of the harsh contrast. I think I would clone stamp out the lines in the bottom left or try just cropping off the bottom. However, as is, its beautiful

1 Like

Welcome Philip! This is lovely - the subdued colors do have a calming effect. I like Blake’s idea about reducing the contrast. If you wanted to retain some of the details of the water (which you would lose with a longer shutter speed), you might try reducing the contrast in this photo through processing. In any event, it’s a beautiful scene.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your feedback Blake. If truth be known this was not shot on a tripod but rather handheld and was one of many that I took reactively adjusting to the light conditions with each incoming wave. A slower thought process might have produced a slower shutter speed.
Your comments are very helpful. Thank you.

Bonnie thank you. Your comment is so helpful and so welcome. Yours and Blake’s advice is exactly what I’m looking for.

1 Like

Welcome to NPN Philip, this is a really nice minimalist image. I like the calm, gentle mood you have here. To me the calmness in this image derives from the sky, and the relatively large expanse of wet sand. Thus I agree with Blake Randall that the sand lines in the lower left corner (LLC) slightly disrupt the sense of calmness, and I would suggest removing them via cloning. Having the sand perfectly smooth feels more “calm” to me. As a matter of personal taste I would like to see the sky slightly darker to show a bit more of the pastel colors in the sky. Here is a rework reflecting both of my comments.

1 Like

Thank you so much Ed for your positive feedback. It helps me a lot!!