Passerini Tanager and Repost

Male. Overcast, Under jungle canopy.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso 1250, 500PF, F8, 1000th, D500, fill flash at -3, handheld, 75% full frame

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

This is not an easy shot to make under the canopy without fill flash. The black wouldn’t come out this good. The processing looks pretty good except I think the NR has smoothened too much of the bird’s fine feather detail, Dave. What I like to do usually is using a layer mask to brush out (at partial opacity) the effect of the NR.

That is one gorgeous bird and a great pose, David. It’s funny how comparing the perches in your images from Costa Rica and the ones you take at home shows what a real rain forest climate we live in up here-they look identical.

Adhika, this actually was taken with the fill flash at -3 as noted. I thought it was a tiny bit over sharpened so I did a universal topaz universal noise reduction AI later and did not go over the bird itself and remove the noise reduction layer in order to make it look less sharp. I completely redid the image and here is a repost. This time I did not use any noise reduction other than AI clear.