Buckeye Leaf Bud

f32 | 1/30s | ISO 100 | 100mm Macro

f11 | 1/25s | ISO 100 | 100mm Macro

I hope that it’s okay to post two photos of the same subject.

I took the opportunity to experiment with several elements in taking this photo.

The first is moving the flash around to see how the change in angle lit the subject.

The second and third is the combination of aperture and shutter speed. I was curious to the effect these two elements had on BG. It is amazing how shutter speed can effect how much the BG is exposed and aperture can transform a BG from a soft diffused Bokeh to hard lines.

Of all of the photos taken, these are the two that I like the best.

Specific Feedback Requested

Composition and BG. Which of the two BGs presented do you thinks works best with this subject?

When taking this photo I had decided to review them in post for the best one. Hind site being 20/20 I should reviewed them in field and taken multiple photos to stack for the best ones.

All feedback is welcomed.

Technical Details

Canon 5D IV | EF100 Macro - See photos for other settings
Processed using ACR and Photoshop

I had an opportunity to visit this tree again yesterday. With numerous pawpaw trees in this location, my deduction seamed sound, but incorrect. This is actually the leaf bud of a buckeye tree. I have never seen buckeye trees in this area and I was surprised to see a couple of trees growing there. I wonder what deposited the seeds there.

I renamed the photo. Sorry for the miss identification.

3 Likes

Oh what a striking bud. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one of these plants before so keep them coming. Of the two I prefer the first one since it seems more deliberate to me. The slight rotation on the bud itself gives us better separation of the different parts and the completely dark background seems like an aesthetic choice rather than an accident. That’s more how the second photo feels to me - like you saw a cool thing and snapped a picture - there is much less crisp detail to keep me interested compared to the first one. The first one feels more like you made a photograph.

1 Like

This is a magical photo. I love both for different reasons. I like the lighting on the bud with the black BG. It really makes this beautiful bud the entire focus. So beautiful. I also like the second one for the gorgeous BG, but the lighting on the bud is more dull. Maybe you could do a little dodging on this one to bring the bud out more. Both are stunning. Great job!!

Hi David. Like Kristen and Donna, I find the first to have some lifelike punch and wonderful detail, whereas the second shot to be a bit flat looking. Black backgrounds are always a favourite of mine so I like that in the first shot of yours also.
On the other hand, I find that the bit extra light revealing a bit more of the bud at the top right rear (if that makes sense) in the second photo helps a lot. I find in the first image that there is a bit of the bud missing in action in that area and it sort of creates a bit of stress wondering what is there and mentally filling it in. Great shot anyway, I do like it. Cheers.

Thank you for you thoughts and input. I’m going to keep an eye out for another opportunity to photograph this tree in the coming spring. As I was experimenting with flash, aperture and shutter speed I wasn’t thinking of focus stacking. I feel that both photos could have been improved if I had stacked multiple photos.

Hi David,

I am leaning toward the 1st image with the black BG, I also like the way it’s curved slightly more than the 2nd image.
A small aperture like f32 helps to concentrate the light onto the subject and less on the BG and with the amount of light in the 1st image seeming to be maybe 1 stop darker anyway, was a +1 stop adjustment in the flash enough to take care of it? Or maybe just moved the flash in closer?
Of course I have to admit that I don’t always make notes or remember details like that!
Just curious. :slight_smile:

At any rate, this is my first time seeing this type of Pawpaw bud, most I’ve seen aren’t very interesting so I appreciate being able to see this one!
Oh, I’m also curious about the size of this bud, do you remember how long or what the diameter it was by any chance?

All the best.

Hi Merv,

Thank for taking the time to review my photo and comment. I haven’t developed a workflow in the field for keeping notes yet. I know that I need to. I was hand holding the flash, while experimenting with light, aperture and shutter speed. I used the histogram to help determine the distance and flash power level.

To be honest, I’m guessing that this is a Pawpaw leaf bud. I’m basing my guess on that I know that I have a group of Pawpaw’s growing in this part of my woods. I’ll pay attention this next summer to see if my deduction is correct. The leaf bud is actually quite large. I guessing that it is probably a couple of inches in length. Please let me know if you think it is something different.

Thanks,

Hi David,
Actually I haven’t a clue what it is other than what you feel it is, I’ve never seen one before this and I’m not very familiar with Pawpaw buds or trees, all I know about is what I found online and some I saw years ago.
Yeah, I probably will never be good at taking field notes on settings or setups but some people have a much, much better memory than I do :slight_smile:

Thanks for answering my question about the size of the bud, I enjoy researching things I don’t know about if I find it interesting.

It’s a very nice image and an interesting bud! :slight_smile:

All the best,

Great image. I have a strong preference for the first image. Anything in the background is going to distract the viewer from the stunning subject. It is well framed and the composition is spot on.

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time to view and comment on my photo

What a gorgeous object! Do let us see more in spring!

I find both very attractive. I’m wondering of you have tried raising shadows and lowering Highlights a bit on the first one? The bit of extra tonal detail might be interesting.

Nicely done beautiful 1st brings out more texture
Steve

YES !!! Outstanding !!! The lines in the top of the plant are amazing. Really nice colors and i wouldn’t change a thing …

1 Like