Performing a Fly-by

Performing a Fly-by

I haven’t posted here in a long time, as I have been traveling (Greece, Tanzania, Kenya, India and Iceland) as well as moving to the bird-rich state of Florida, all since the end of January. I have just started to look at the photos from my latest trip, to Iceland. And I fell in love with this image of an Atlantic Puffin. It is not a crop. They were flying very close to the cliff where I stood on Grimsey Island, and I was able to get a fantastic number of sharp images with my Sony a9 in tracking mode. It beats my Canon gear hands down. Sony a9, Sony 100-400mm at 400mm with camera set on APS-C crop, 1/1000th at f/5.6, ISO1600.### Please list any pertinent technical details or techniques to help others.

1 Like

Great look at a flying Puffin. At ISO 1600 did you have to use much noise reduction?

Not much. I ran it through Topaz ai clear but the raw image has little noise. I am finding that even at 3200 ISO the noise is manageable on the a9 as long as the exposure is correct or a bit to the right.

Really like the body position. Is that water in the background that looks greenish on my laptop?

Yes, that is water which was sort of a greenish blue.

Killer in-flight photo of this Puffin, Charles! I love the wing positions and the fact that it appears to be looking right at you. Nice job with the exposure on this also. It’s pretty impressive how well the newer Sony mirrorless will track a subject. My a6500 does the same thing. If you can keep it in the frame it will keep it in focus, even if you’re panning and something like a branch comes in between for a second. I just set it on wide focus pattern and continuous auto focus and it almost always finds the subject and locks on it, even when it’s quite small.

1 Like
Back
Forward