Pied-billed Grebe in Duckweed

One of my favorite water birds, though it’s rather plain. I liked the thick covering of duckweed and how the upper surface was reddish while on the bird a green surface shows.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony a1, FE200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, beanbag on car window, f/9, 1/400, iso 2000, fill flash at -2.3 EV, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 6332x4221. Taken at 9:05 am on November 13th at a SW Washington wildlife refuge.

2 Likes

He looks so happy just swimming there, Dennis. Great detail in the duckling and the water. While the color is not the “normal” color, I like how it compliments the duckling. Very nicely seen and captured.

They are cute birds. Excellent detail and nice pose .

Beautiful photo, Dennis. I really love the minimalist almost mono color look of this image. It’s very artistic looking.

They’re one of my favorites too, Dennis. This is a great little scene. Well seen.

Great species, and the weed(?)covered water makes for a special touch. Nice one! Cheers, Hans

There is nothing wrong with any of the grebes as subject material. The large version looks very good and am happy with your composition. The little bit of green suggests that some remnants of Summer is still hanging on. I cannot suggest any edits for improving this shot. Very nice…Jim

Well composed image with excellent detail. I might try to lighten up the head just a tad so that it comes closer to matching the rest of the plumage.