Pileated Woodpecker w/Repost

Repost with more detail on the bird:

Original Post:

Pileated Woodpecker (Dryocopus pileatus), Crystal Springs, Portland, Oregon, USA

I was inspired by @Dave_Douglass’ recent Woodpecker post to go back in my archives to see if I could pull something out of the only time I’ve ever seen, much less photographed a Pileated Woodpecker.

I was evaluating a Fujifilm H-X1 and XF 100-400 lens. I liked the setup, but found the raw files a bit lacking in their malleability. I was not able to get much out of this image until I pulled it into Capture One yesterday. C1 handled the ISO 3200 noise quite nicely and seemed to manage the highlights/shadows very well too…

Finally pleased with this take.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Fujifilm H-X1 and XF 100-400 lens. 290mm, 1/280 sec @ f/5.6, ISO 3200, monopod.

2 Likes

Very nice, Dave. A difficult bird, at least for me, to get any detail in those black feathers, but you did a good job. Nicely done and such magnificent birds.

What a beauty! It’s amazing how much bigger they are than pretty much all the other woodies. We have a resident pair, but no dice photo-wise. Looks like I will have to put in a better effort. Have you tried adding a little local contrast to the bird itself? Could bring up some of that detail.

Thanks Terry, I appreciate it.

@Kris_Smith, thanks for the suggestion on local contrast. I selected the back/side of the bird and added some clarity and texture, then a touch of noise reduction to dial it back. Posted above.

Hi. David
I has only seen Pileated Woodpeckers once, kayaking on the Conn. River. They are really quite large. Form some reason I can not view the repost? You did a go job with the blacks and red crown of this woodpecker.
Peter

Thanks @Peter, you should be able to see the repost now…

The repost is a subtle, but improving touch.

1 Like

Great look at Woody. Re-post looks good and I like the color and texture in the tree and the background works as well. Nice capture.

Excellent portrait with an interesting “perch” and lovely BG. Deepening the blacks looks spot-on!

I’ve never seen one, although supposedly there are some around here. I wonder if our beyond-plentiful Acorn Woodpeckers drive others away.

Excellent look at this woodpecker. We are so fortunate to have so many different woodpecker species in the Pacific Northwest. I see one of these a year but they are almost impossible to photograph. The repost is improved.

I liked the OP, but when the RP appeared, the image went up a notch or two.

Lovely colours that don’t seem to be overdone. Great pose and background.

Repost looks very good. I like the tension in the pileated woodpecker. It looks like there’s going to be wood chips flying out any moment. A fine image for sure…Jim

1 Like