Pillar Falls

I very rarely (never) shoot in the portrait orientation. I’ve decided I should get some practice in, I certainly prove that I need more practice. Due to environmental constraints, this was about the only angle I could get on the “pillar” with the canyon in the background.

My self critique is this: I totally should have had my tripod a bit higher but, for some reason i was laser focused on having it set at this height and didn’t shoot differently (i’m a frigging idiot sometimes).

What technical feedback would you like if any? All feedback is welcome.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? All feedback is welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Olympus M10
Laowa 7.5mm f/2 (at f/8)
ISO 200
HDR Composite

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@spudalicious

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I like the concept here. Yes, a higher camera position would have helped with the merger of the pillar’s reflection and the submerged rocks. I think the composition works, but you might consider a slight crop from the top.

My particular concern here is the reflection. In this case, HDR wasn’t doing you any favors because the reflection is brighter than cliffs and pillar, which physically cannot happen. I think that if you worked with the contrast and luminosity of the reflection that would give the image more punch.

The sky and the pillar have nice tonality and color.
–P

1 Like

Brent, I assume this is from Idaho, and I like seeing locations that haven’t been shot to death. This looks like a very neat location. My comments are similar to Preston’s I also like the concept but have concerns about the HDR effect and the reflections. I would suggest burning down the area below the waterline to deepen the reflections and shadows, but leave alone some of the moss/vegetation in the water, to have some highlights in the shadow area. I also think you have some slight halo-ing near the top of the Pillar, you should try to smooth them out more if this is a manual blend.

Thanks @Ed_McGuirk and @Preston_Birdwell! I see exactly what you mean and totally agree now that it is pointed out. I’ll make some edits when I get home from work. :slight_smile:

Brent, those comments aside, I think this is very pleasing. I look at the big image and I am seeing chromatic aberrations and halos around the edges of the rocks. I think it is pretty minor detail but something that would be noticeable if you are going to print this big.